What is the Riz Test?
Taking inspiration from Riz Ahmed's 2017 speech in the House of Commons on diversity on screen, the Riz Test is five criteria to measure how Muslims are portrayed on Film and TV.
If the film/show stars at least one character who is identifiably Muslim (by ethnicity, language or clothing) - is the character…
- Talking about, the victim of, or the perpetrator of Islamist terrorism?
- Presented as irrationally angry?
- Presented as superstitious, culturally backwards or anti-modern?
- Presented as a threat to a Western way of life?
- If the character is male, is he presented as misogynistic? or if female, is she presented as oppressed by her male counterparts?
If the answer for any of the above is Yes, then the Film/ TV Show fails the test.